Foods to Avoid while taking Trulicity
Trulicity is an injectable drug that is used to treat type 2 diabetes. It is a dulaglutide type of drug. It increases the amount of Insulin in the body and reduces blood sugar levels. If you are also using Trulicity and not sure about what you should eat and what you do not eat then here is a list of that. Read this article to know more about Trulicity and its side effects etc.
What is Trulicity?
Trulicity (dulaglutide) is an injectable diabetes medicine. It is dulaglutide class medicine
Which is used to treat type 2 diabetes. It is specific for type 2 diabetes and it should not be given for type 2 diabetes. It works by reducing the blood sugar level in the body.
It is given in the form of an injection.
It is a GLP 1 agonist which acts on the pancreas and helps in releasing insulin. It is available in the form of an insulin pen-like injection but it does not contain insulin. The amount of dose varies from person to person, from low dose to high dose ranging from 0.75 mg per 0.5 ml to 4.5 mg per 0.5 ml. Usually, people start with low doses only. It is taken once a week. The form in which Trulicity injection is given is subcutaneous.
Along with treating type 2 diabetes mellitus it also reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease in adults.
How does Trulicity work?
Trulicity is dulaglutide which is a glucagon-like receptor peptide 1 (GLP-1 ) agonist. It works by activating the GLP1 receptor in the body. It increases the release of insulin in the body which will help in reducing blood sugar levels of the body.
It increases the amount of insulin in the body and decreases the amount of glucagon in the body. It also prevents cardiovascular disease in adults.
It is given subcutaneously in the body so that it works slowly and gives a long-lasting effect. It is easy to use and self administrable as it comes in the form of a pen-like injection.
Its dose varies from patient to patient. Normally we start from a low dose only then we can increase the amount of dose according to the requirement of the body.
What is the best time to take Trulicity?
Trulicity can be taken at any time of the day. It is taken once per week. It is important to take the next dose on the day when you took the last dose. For example, if you have taken the first dose on Wednesday, then you are supposed to take the next dose on Wednesday only.
If you miss your dose that day then take it within 72 hours of missing that dose. If less than three days are left for the next dose then better if you should miss that dose and take the next dose according to schedule.
It is always important to take advice from your doctor about your medicine and how and when you should take your medicine. They will suggest the best way and will advise you according to your history.
Foods to avoid while taking Trulicity?
There is no specific food that you should eat or should not eat while taking Trulicity. But some food items should be avoided while taking Trulicity so that the medicine can work properly and you get the best result out of it also it will help to maintain your blood sugar level with less use of medicine. Here are some food items that can be avoided :
- High sugar-content food and snack: high sugar content food consumption is not good for your body. It will increase the level of blood sugar and increase the risk of many other diseases. These food items like cookies, sugar drinks, fast food, etc should be avoided for your better health and so your blood sugar level. Instead of all these highly refined carbohydrates, and snacks you can prefer nuts, fruits, or some healthy items.
- High-fat-content food: high amounts of fat-containing food items should be avoided in daily life. These food items are rich in fat and increase the risk of many heart diseases. These items increase cholesterol levels in your body. So we should avoid these items like ghee, butter, cheesy sauces, cream, etc.
- High-sugar content drinks: high sugar drinks like cold drinks, milkshakes, sodas, etc. are not at all good for your body. These items will spike the amount of glucose in the body and reduce the effect of your medicine. You should avoid these types of drinks and instead of this, you can prefer herbal tea or some juices which will not increase your blood sugar level.
- Refined carbohydrates: refined carbohydrate food items like white bread, white rice, and potatoes contain high amounts of refined carbohydrates and these are not good for diabetes patients. They will shoot up blood sugar levels as they are high glycemic index value food items and increase the sugar level of the body immediately.
It is important to talk to your doctor about what you should not eat while taking medication. He can give you the best advice according to your food habits and your sugar levels.
Alcohol and Trulicity
Many people have doubts about whether they can drink alcohol or not while using Trulicity. Alcohol is not suggested to drink while using this medication because alcohol may cause hypoglycemia (reduced blood sugar level) which is dangerous for diabetic patients.
Many people argue that it should be good to take alcohol because it reduces blood sugar levels and our motto is to reduce blood sugar levels but it is not correct. Hypoglycemia in diabetic patients may cause many problems. It affects other organs also and may cause damage.
So it is advised to avoid alcohol while using Trulicity.
Foods to take while taking Trulicity
There is no specific food item that you should eat. Normally Trulicity does not interact with any food item. There are some that you can add to your diet for healthy living and that helps in maintaining your blood sugar level:
- Nuts and seeds: nuts like walnuts have high fiber content and are good for health. Dry fruits also have good nutrients that are healthy for your body. You should not eat high sugar content food items.
- Low refined carbohydrate: you should prefer low refined carbohydrates and avoid high content of that. You can eat brown rice, jowar, etc.
- Herbal teas: herbal teas are good for the body and do not contain high sugars. Instead of high-sugar drinks you can prefer there and maintain a healthy lifestyle.
- Leafy vegetable: Leafy vegetables are very good for the body. They contain many nutrients and vitamins that are essential for the body. Your blood sugar level will also be maintained. You should eat these types of food. you should eat high-starch foods like potatoes.
- High-fiber fruits: fruits containing high fiber and less sugar are good for diabetic patients. You can eat fruit which has low sugar content like apples.
You should take advice from your doctor or dietician about your food. Avoid that food item if you have any allergies. Tell your doctor about your whole history as the history of the patient matters a lot. You should not hide anything from your doctor.
What are the side effects of Trulicity?
Usually, it is safe to use Trulicity but it may have some side effects.
- Abdominal pain
- As Trulicity is an injectable drug it may also cause an injection site reaction.
It is important to note that not everyone who is Trulicity will get these side effects. It may occur or not. Usually, Trulicity does not give side effects but it depends on person to person. In some people, these side effects are mild in starting but in some, it may be worse. In these cases, you should immediately inform your doctor and stop taking this medication.
Trulicity is contraindicated in kidney patients as it may worsen the condition. In patients with kidney problems, it may lead to kidney damage. So it should not be given in this case.
Trulicity has a boxed warning also for the risk of thyroid cancer. A boxed warning is the most serious warning from FDA.
Trulicity should not be overused as it may cause many other problems in the body. Animal studies have shown an increased risk of thyroid cancer with the use of Trulicity.
How to reduce the side effects of Trulicity?
The most common side effect of using Trulicity is nausea It occurs in almost 8-26 percent of patients who use Trulicity. Usually, it occurs in the first two weeks of using this and subsides after some. By that time you can take some measures likes
- Avoid heavy food item
- Take less meal
- Try eating less spicy food
It will help you with your nausea. Even after 2-3 weeks if the nausea problem does not solve you should meet your doctor and stop using Trulicity.
Other mild side effects also get reduced with food habits. Using less spicy and heavy food can help in reducing mild side effects. Even after this if you are getting side effects you should meet your doctor and take proper advice and stop using Trulicity. Your doctor will give you some alternatives for it.
Can we use Trulicity in pregnancy?
There is less evidence about its effect on the fetus. It should be avoided during pregnancy because it may cause some risks to the fetus.
Can Trulicity be taken without food?
Yes, you can take it anytime in the day with or without food.
How long does Trulicity stay in the body?
The half-life of Trulicity is 5 days, which means after 5 days it will be excreted from the body.
Can Trulicity cause extreme weight loss?
No, it is not a weight loss medicine. But some people may experience some weight loss.