Foods to Avoid while taking Xifaxan
If you are suffering from diarrhea and using Xifaxan as medication, here are some points you should know about Xifaxan and things to be taken care of while using it, and also about the foods to avoid while taking Xifaxan.
What is Xifaxan?
Xifaxan is an antibiotic that is commonly used to treat traveler’s diarrhea that occurs due to the bacteria Escherichia coli that is present in our intestines It works by inhibiting the growth of bacteria in the body and preventing the disease. IBS (irritable bowel syndrome ) is also treated by Xifaxin. Other uses of it are in the prevention of hepatic encephalopathy which is a complication of liver disease in adults.
Xifaxan is available in tablet form and it is taken orally. Use it as prescribed by your doctor to ensure the best outcomes from it.
What are the side effects of Xifaxan?
Xifaxan is used to treat a variety of digestive disorders but it may cause some side effects also. Xifaxan is usually a safe drug but sometimes it can also cause some side effects Here is a list of some possible side effects.
- Nausea and vomiting: it can cause nausea and vomiting in some patients. Usually, symptoms are mild only but the condition can worsen in some rare cases.
- Abdominal pain: Xifaxan can cause abdominal pain in some patients. Usually, pain is mild only and subsides with time but it can be severe in some cases and cause so much discomfort.
- Headache: The use of Xifaxan can cause headaches in some people. Normally it will be mild only but in some people, it may be severe and cause so much difficulty.
- Diarrhea: While Xifaxan is used to treat diarrhea but in some cases, it may cause diarrhea side effects. It may be mild to severe.
- Dizziness: The use of Xifaxan may cause dizziness as a side effect in the user. It may vary from mild to severe, usually, it is mild only and decreases with time.
- Allergic reaction: Xifaxan may cause allergic reactions in some patients like rashes, fever, swelling of the face and tongue, difficulty in breathing, etc. In this case, a person should immediately stop using it and inform their doctor.
This is important to note that not everyone will experience side effects. It occurs in some rare cases. If you are getting any of the above side effects while using it, inform your doctor he will change your dosage form or replace it with some other medication.
Foods to avoid while taking Xifaxan
While taking medication you are generally recommended to avoid some food items so that your medicine can work properly. The same way here is to list some food items that should be avoided while taking Xifaxan to get its best result :
- Spicy and fried food: Spicy foods may aggravate your problem and causes vomiting, diarrhea, and gas. So. Etrer to avoid these types of food items to work medicine properly and for a healthy digestive system.
- Alcohol: Alcohol may increase the effect of medicine and cause more effects of it like drowsiness, dizziness, and others. Avoid alcohol when you are using Xifaxan.
- High-fiber food: high-fiber food such as lentils, high-fiber fruits, and vegetables are difficult to digest, so it is better to avoid this food and try eating low-fiber food.
- Carbonated beverages: Carbonated drinks such as soda may sparkle the symptoms and cause more problems It is better to avoid these types of drinks. It may give you temporary relief but it is not good for your intestine beside that you can use herbal tea or drink like that which are good for your health.
- Dairy products: Xixafan may interfere with the digestion of dairy products which mainly contain lactose. So while using Xifaxin it is better to avoid dairy products.
It is important to ask your doctor about what you can eat and what you can not before starting any medication so that you can get an idea of what to eat and what not to and you can get the best result out of the medication.
Foods to eat while taking Xifaxan
While taking Xifaxan it is important to take a balanced and healthy diet so that the medicine can work properly, it will support the digestive system and healing. Here is a list of some food that should be eaten
- Low-fiber food: low fiber fruits such as bananas peeled, peeled apples, etc, are easy to digest and contain vitamins and minerals also that are necessary for you.
- Lean proteins: lean protein which is present in fish, chicken, and tofu is easy and digest and contains an amino acid that is good for the body.
- Grains: Refined grains like white bread, which are easy to digest and can go well while you are using Xifaxan.
- Fermented food: fermented food yogurt is very good for the intestine and contains probiotics that are very good for the intestines
- Herbal teas such as ginger and peppermint may help soothe digestive sy em such as bloating, gas, etc.
It is important to note that if you have any allergy to any above-mentioned food items then you should avoid them Every person has a different type of digestive system, so you should know what suits you best and eat according to that.
Things to know before taking Xifaxan
Xifaxan is an antibiotic drug that is used to treat digestive system problems and other items:
- It is usually taken orally and prescribed according to the severity of the problem. Always take the doctor’s advice before using any medicine.
- Take your drug as prescribed by your doctor. Take the proper course of medicine and do not leave it in between. It may cause some serious problems also.
- If you are using some other medication or supplement, inform your doctor about it. As Xifaxan may interfere with the absorption of other drugs and affect their function
- Xifaxan may cause some side effects like nausea, vomiting, headache, dizziness, etc. If you are feeling any of the above-mentioned side effects please inform your doctor and take their advice.
- Some people may have an allergy to Xifaxan so it should not be given to them. Xifaxan is also not preferred for people who have a history of liver disease. So you should always inform your doctor about your allergy and history.
- Using Xifaxan during pregnancy may not be a safe option. So it is better to ask your doctor before taking any medication during pregnancy as it may cause problems during pregnancy.
- If you are using other medicines also along with Xifaxan then better you should take it before or after 2 hours of taking Xifaxan as it may interfere with the absorption of other drugs.
What happens when you stop taking Xifaxan?
Xifaxan is an antibiotic medicine that should be taken in a complete course. It should not be left in between the courses as it may cause the risk of replacement of disease because only some amount of bacteria will be killed in half use and due to this others are still alive and may cause disease again. So it is always suggested to take drugs as prescribed by the doctor. Do not leave any course in between.
Also if we stop taking antibiotics in between the courses it may develop antibiotic resistance. It is more serious as now bacteria become resistant to antibiotics and it is difficult to kill the more resistant bacteria. It may cause some more serious infections and problems.
So, it is important to take the course of medicine exactly as prescribed by your doctor. Even if you start feeling better in some doses you should not leave medicine in between and should complete it. Ask your doctor before you stop using drugs and take proper advice.
Can other medications be taken along with Xifaxan?
Xifaxan may interfere with the absorption and work of other drugs also. So it is always important to ask your doctor and tell them your full history if you are using some other medication or supplements.
Can pregnant or breastfeeding mothers use Xifaxan?
Maybe Xifaxan is not safe to use during pregnancy or breastfeeding so it is better to ask your doctor before using it. They can suggest the best way.
Can someone drink alcohol while using Xifaxan?
It is recommended to avoid alcohol while taking Xifaxan as it may interfere with drug absorption and also in the presence of Xifaxan alcohol effect increases.
How long does Xifaxan take to work?
The time taken by Xifaxan to work depends on person to person. In some people, it shows a very fast effect and in some, it takes a long time to work. There is no need to worry.
Can anyone buy Xifaxan?
No, it is a prescription medicine that is given only if you have a prescription.