Both good and bad bacteria colonize our digestive tract. Probiotics, particularly those containing Lactobacilli strains, have proven to be beneficial in preventing urinary tract infections. Yakult is said to contain 10 billion strains of LcS and helps to prevent infections and UTIs. Read more inside about Yakult as a preventive cure for UTIs.
Urinary tract infections (UTIs) are extremely unpleasant and can harm your lifestyle and overall health. A UTI will affect the vast majority of people, particularly women, at some point in their lives. Some individuals even suffer from recurrent urinary tract infections.
Among several effective methods for preventing the onset of urinary tract infection, probiotics are believed to have impressive results in reducing the severity of symptoms. Most of you might still be confused: can I drink Yakult when I have UTI or not?
Every day, drinking at least one bottle of Yakult might help constipated people improve their regular bowel movements and also help improve their gut health. Furthermore, Yakult significantly reduces the risk of bladder cancer and urinary tract infections.
What exactly is a urinary tract infection?
UTIs are bacterial infections that can negatively impact any part of your urinary system, including the ureters, kidneys, bladder, and urethra. Most bladder and urethral infections result in frequent urination and a burning sensation when urinating. A UTI can harm the kidneys if left untreated. Infection-causing pathogenic bacteria can easily enter the bloodstream and cause potentially fatal complications.
What exactly is Yakult?
Yakult is manufactured by a Japanese company that produces probiotic milk beverages. To make the beverage, skim milk is fermented with a strain of beneficial bacteria called Lactobacillus casei Shirota (LcS). Yakult contains bacteria that enter the intestine and provide the body with a variety of health benefits.
Nutritional Values of Yakult
Yakult is available over the market in a 65ml bottle. The USDA has approved the nutritional values found in Yakult.
- 50 calories
- There is no fat, no cholesterol, and no dietary fiber.
- 15 g sodium
- 12 g carbohydrates
- 10 g sugar
- 0.8 g protein
Causes of Urinary Tract Infections (UTIs)
A urinary tract infection (UTI) usually occurs when harmful bacteria, such as Escherichia coli (E. coli), enter your urinary system and have the opportunity to reside and multiply within your body, resulting in a fatal infection.
UTIs are most commonly found in the bladder and the urethra. In some severe cases, the kidneys might also be negatively impacted.
The types of harmful bacteria are present in almost all humans and lead to UTIs due to two severe circumstances:
- If the balance between good and bad hormonal bacteria is impacted, bad bacteria can thrive and spread to the vagina and urinary tract, causing infection.
- Urinary tract infection can occur as a result of a blockage. The primary function of the urinary system is to filter toxic substances from your body through the discharge of urine. When urine builds up in the bladder, it provides a breeding ground for dangerous bacteria to penetrate.
Symptoms and Potential Risks
Symptoms usually differ depending upon which part of the urinary system is infected.
- An infected bladder is simply characterized by frequent and painful urination, occasionally with stains of blood in the urine, lower abdominal discomfort, and pressure on pelvic floor muscles.
- An infected urethral is distinguished by urinating with a burning sensation and vaginal discharge.
- Upper back and side pain, high fever with shivers and chills, nausea, and vomiting are all symptoms of an acute kidney infection.
- Holding the urge of urinating and not going to the bathroom when you need to, or not completely emptying your bladder when you urinate, can simply result in a buildup of bad bacteria in your bladder, resulting in UTI.
- Kidney stones can obstruct your urinary tract and prevent normal urine flow, negatively impacting your urinary system.
- People suffering from diabetes have higher levels of sugar in the blood and urine. Higher sugar levels in the urine can promote the growth of bad bacteria, resulting in formation of UTIs.
Can probiotic yogurt cure UTI?
Probiotics are live bacteria found in yogurt, kimchi, pickles, kefir, and other foods. Consuming probiotic-rich yogurt can help with the development of beneficial gut bacteria that support the efficient breakdown of food. As a result, you may have a more efficient digestive system, more energy, and overall feel better.
Probiotics in yogurt may also benefit urinary systems. Yogurt can help fight urinary tract infections and may help prevent the development of more serious urinary problems, such as bladder cancer. Probiotics have antibacterial properties and lower the pH of your urine. 
Is drinking Yakult good for UTI?
Yakult and its ingredients are safe for UTI patients to consume. They contain a large number of living microorganisms that benefit the urinary tract. Lactobacillus casei Shirota in Yakult is beneficial because it prevents UTI-causing bacteria from sticking to the urinary tract, growing, and multiplying. Lactobacillus is a probiotic bacterium that can survive in the digestive tract and restore a healthy flora balance.
Lactobacillus strains (LcS) have been shown in clinical trials to effectively reduce the risk of bladder cancer and colorectal tumor recurrence. Thus, consuming this probiotic drink – Yakult daily effectively reduces the risk of urinary tract infections. 
Can Yakult help prevent UTI?
Yakult would be extremely beneficial in the prevention of UTIs. Probiotics, especially those containing Lactobacilli strains are proven to help prevent urinary tract infections (UTIs). Lactobacillus casei Shirota is a probiotic bacteria found in Yakult (LcS).
Lactobacilli have been scientifically proven to be especially beneficial for adults who have a history of recurrent and complicated urinary tract infections or who have used antibiotics for a long period. 
Because Lactobacilli are found in healthy adults, maintaining a healthy balance of these probiotic bacteria may help the body fight pathogens that cause UTIs. Probiotics do not cause antibiotic resistance, but they do not replace antibiotics if they are the primary therapy.
Is it okay to drink Yakult when you have UTI?
Yakult is the best probiotic drink for UTI patients based on its ingredients and the role it plays. Lactobacillus casei plays an important role in intestinal flora maintenance, removing pathogenic bacteria and even bacteria from the urinary tract that are dangerous and harmful to UTI patients, and preventing their accumulation, growth, and reproduction.
As a result, UTI patients should include it in their daily diet to relieve the symptoms and prevent re-infection.
Can Yakult help with bladder infection?
Probiotics can help keep the urinary tract healthy and bacteria-free. Lactobacillus, the most effective probiotic found in Yakult, may aid in the treatment and prevention of UTIs. This could be achieved by:
- Blocking harmful bacteria from developing within your urinary tract.
- Producing a powerful antibacterial agent in urine, such as hydrogen peroxide.
- Lowering the pH of urine, making conditions less favorable for bacteria.
Furthermore, taking Lactobacillus supplements while taking antibiotics may reduce antibiotic resistance in your body.
Can UTIs cure on their own?
According to studies, 25% to 42% of uncomplicated UTIs in women can cure on their own. However, there are risks if UTIs are left untreated, so it’s critical to seek medical attention if you suspect you have a UTI. 
How much Yakult should be consumed by UTI patients?
There are no definitive dosage guidelines for this probiotic drink. One bottle of Yakult fermented product could be consumed in a day. Many people drink it as part of their daily routine at breakfast.
How long does it take probiotics to work for UTIs?
It usually takes 2 to 3 weeks for individuals to notice significant benefits when they begin taking probiotics. This is because probiotics require time to achieve their three primary goals: increasing good bacteria, decreasing bad bacteria, and reducing inflammation.
Is it safe to drink Yakult if you have a UTI?
Yakult and its ingredients are safe for UTI patients to consume. Lactobacillus is a type of bacteria that prevents UTI-causing bacteria from sticking to the urinary tract, growing, and multiplying, and has an inhibitory effect on bad bacteria.
Is there any relief from UTI pain from drinking water?
Urinary tract infections can be excruciatingly painful. Two home remedies that might relieve severe signs and symptoms are using a heating pad and drinking plenty of water to help flush out the urinary tract and get rid of bad bacteria.
Most people may get a UTI at some point in life, and these infections are more common in women. Usually, most UTIs can cure on their own with the help of proper medical attention.
Staying hydrated, drinking cranberry juice, and getting enough Vitamin C into your body are all long-standing home remedies that may help prevent and treat these infections.
Most of you must be wondering, is Yakult ok with UTIs? Yakult and its ingredients are beneficial to UTI patients. It contains a large number of good living bacteria that benefit the urinary tract. If you suspect you have a UTI or are experiencing any symptoms, you should seek medical attention immediately before attempting to treat the infection yourself.
- D. Borchert. “Prevention and treatment of urinary tract infection with probiotics: Review and research perspective”. Indian J Urol vol 24(2) (2008). 139-144.
- Kan Shida. “Daily intake of fermented milk with Lactobacillus casei strain Shirota reduces the incidence and duration of upper respiratory tract infections in healthy middle-aged office workers”. Springer Open Choice vol 56(1) (2017). 45-53.
- Turgay Akgül. “The role of probiotics in women with recurrent urinary tract infections”. Turk J Urol vol 44(5) (2018). 377-383.
- Paul A. Bergamin. “Non-surgical management of recurrent urinary tract infections in women”. Transl Androl Urol vol 6(2) (2017). 142-152.