Mesotherapy can exfoliate, improve immunity, increase blood supply and do so much more for your scalp. All of this combined with hair regrowth sounds like a good deal to me!
Read on to see how mesotherapy can work for you!
Hair loss is a natural part of the various stages of hair growth. Yes, you read that right. Hair loss is the last stage of your hair growth and is an essential one at that. Without the shedding that occurs at the end of the exogen phase, your hair will all shed at once, and that would essentially mean going bald almost instantly, and I wouldn’t be wrong if I said that I’d be speaking for all of us when I say that we wouldn’t want that.
Now, although it is natural to shed hair, once you start losing more than 50-150 strands a day, it becomes a cause of concern. It is natural for you to then start looking for treatment options that can either help you regrow all the lost hair or to try and prevent the loss of more hair. A few treatment options that might come up are redensyl for hair loss, exosome for hair loss, prp for hair loss, etc.
One of the options you can consider is mesotherapy. But before we get into the details of this procedure, let’s talk about the various reasons for excessive hair shedding.
What causes your hair to fall?
Once you notice that you are shedding hair in excess, you might start treating it externally. However, it is also essential to know what is causing your hair to fall so you can begin treating it internally as well. If you fail to do so, you could be risking more hair fall in the future.
Although it is close to impossible to pinpoint what exactly is causing your hair to fall, here are a few common factors that could affect it.
Stress is the primary reason for hair fall in most cases. It causes severe detrimental impacts on our bodies.
Stress affects hair in the following pathway.
Stress -> Poor Quality Sleep -> Sleep Deprivation -> Reduced vitamin, protein and mineral absorption -> Damaged hair follicles -> Reduction in hair quality -> Hair loss.
At times, disorders such as PCOD or PCOS, thyroid, and arthritis can lead to hormonal changes in the body. Steroid usage also causes a hormone shift and leads to weight gain, hair fall, and impotence (in rare cases) .
A primary factor in men compared to women since you can inherit baldness only from a maternal genotype. It is dormant in generation one and active in generations two and three.
Chemicals and Heat
Excessive use of hair products and application of heat damages the hair. It spoils hair structure and hinders its growth. It induces hair loss.
Diet plays a vital role in daily life. A balanced diet filled with macro and micronutrients leads to a healthy mind and body. However, quite a few weight-loss diets and other excessive calorie-controlled nutrition plans can cause excessive hair fall due to extreme food restriction.
It is important to try and pinpoint the exact causes or factors that affect your hair loss and look for ways to rectify them. At times, your hair follicles might suffer significant damage and might require serious treatment options. One such miraculous procedure is mesotherapy.
What is mesotherapy?
Hair mesotherapy helps with hair loss, thinning, and baldness. It is one of the most beneficial treatments in recent times. It is a simple treatment where nutrients are injected into the scalp. The injection contains the necessary protein in the form of amino acids. It is also rich in vitamins and minerals. These nutrients are introduced into the second layer of the scalp, aiding in hair growth.
One might need 6-8 sittings based on body metabolism and initial reactions. You get a minimum of one injection, and at times two, depending on the type of hair fall you’re experiencing. These nutrient-rich injections help in blood flow activation and hair follicle stimulation. With the help of these nutrients, hair follicles return to life, and hair regeneration takes place.
Depending on the thickness and rate of hair growth, the doctor decides the subsequent injection dosages. Hair mesotherapy aims to maintain constant hair by replenishing hair follicles. It also aids in maintaining hair quality and strength.
Getting in touch with a plastic surgeon or a cosmetologist to undergo this treatment is highly suggested. A dermatologist may not treat complete hair fall and often prefers non-surgical procedures. A cosmetologist will analyze the type of hair fall and improve blood circulation. They will also make sure that the patient is free of further complications for post-operative treatments.
After inducing blood circulation, the type of treatment is decided. As suggested, mesotherapy is one of the most common and safe hair loss procedures. Doctors often recommend it .
Note: Mesotherapy for hair loss is a cosmetic treatment. So insurance may not cover the cost.
- Avoid taking blood thinners and weight-loss drugs two weeks before surgery. Consumption of it increases the odds of blood thinning and blood loss. Weight loss drugs do not slow the fat stores during the surgery. Fat stores help in staying energetic, active, and healthy.
- Avoid food consumption 4-5 hours before surgery. The last meal you consume must be rich in protein, fat, and vitamins. It should also contain a moderate amount of carbohydrates.
- Reschedule your surgery for 2-3 days if you develop allergies in the operating region.
- Consult an ENT specialist if you have a cold or cough 2-3 days before the treatment.
- Avoid mesotherapy for hair loss if you are pregnant or breastfeeding.
- Wear comfortable clothing.
- Avoid massaging the surgery region. Also, only use the doctor suggested medications. You should not use other hair products.
- Avoid cigarettes and alcohol for at least a week.
- Avoid exposing yourself to sun, heat, and wind for 3-4 days from the date of surgery.
- Take sufficient rest, sleep well and stay stress-free.
- Wash your hair using the doctor-recommended shampoo.
- Avoid weight lifting and strenuous exercises for 24 hours.
Things to know before undergoing mesotherapy for hair
- The effects of hair mesotherapy last long if proper hair care is provided. The type of hair quality, massages, and shampoo type you use matter.
- Mesotherapy for hair loss costs between $250 to $600 (18k to 44k rupees) depending on the type of hair fall and the number of sittings you opt for.
- You might need to repeat the same treatment if the body responds with hormonal changes that might lead to hair fall.
- Avoid all hair products unless advised by your doctor.
- Maintain a healthy and balanced diet for proper hair nourishment.
- Get a good night’s sleep and manage your stress using meditation.
Benefits of mesotherapy
Stimulates your hair follicles
The tiny needles used during this procedure can help stimulate your hair follicles by triggering the growth and reproduction of keratinocytes, cells that are crucial in promoting hair growth and regrowth.
Painless, safe, and reliable
Compared to hair transplantation and other treatments for baldness and thinning hair, mesotherapy is one of the safest and painless options. The controlled perforation in the skin that is conducted during mesotherapy is less painful and more therapeutic. It leaves no damage to the surrounding tissue.
Enhances scalp immunity
Apart from promoting hair regrowth and rejuvenating hair follicles, mesotherapy can also help enhance your scalp immunity. The tiny holes that are punctured using multiple tiny needles promote the development of new blood vessels from existing ones and entirely new ones.
Reduces scalp inflammation
Mesotherapy offers therapeutic enhancement of the scalp that can effectively reduce the risk of scalp inflammation. It helps promote a healthy environment for hair growth.
Provides a direct delivery route to the dermis layer
Since mesotherapy utilizes tiny needles for the procedure, it can guarantee a direct, physical pathway of the nutrients deep into the dermis layers of the skin. This can increase the chances of noticing better results compared to other treatments.
Restores normal PH levels
Exfoliating a surface can help restore its pH levels. The needles that perforate the dermis layer of the scalp during the mesotherapy procedure can exfoliate the scalp’s surface, making it smoother and healthier.
Side effects of mesotherapy for hair
Mesotherapy hair treatment is a safe procedure that has no side effects. It doesn’t require anesthesia—patients who undergo this treatment experience minimal to no pain.
However, a few side effects that have been reported are:
If you opt for a trained professional, the chances of you developing such side effects are close to minimal since mesotherapy is a safe and non-invasive procedure.
Hair mesotherapy is one of the successful hair regeneration and non-surgical procedures. It lasts long depending upon post-treatment maintenance. It is also relatively cheap compared to other hair loss surgeries.
Is mesotherapy for hair loss painful?
No, it is not. While you may feel little twitches every once in a while during the procedure, it is not painful in the long run.
Is the treatment permanent?
Hair mesotherapy is not permanent. It might last for a few years if the hair is properly maintained.
- Grymowicz, Monika et al. “Hormonal Effects on Hair Follicles.” International journal of molecular sciences vol. 21,15 5342.(2020).
- Hagenaars, Saskia P et al. “Genetic prediction of male pattern baldness.” PLoS genetics vol. 13,2 e1006594. (2017).
- Redler, Silke et al. “Genetics and other factors in the aetiology of female pattern hair loss.” Experimental dermatology vol. 26,6 (2017): 510-517.
- Sivagnanam, G. “Mesotherapy – The french connection.” Journal of pharmacology & pharmacotherapeutics vol. 1,1 (2010): 4-8.