Certain sleeping positions have the potential to improve your blood flow in your body and help you grow your height as well. Are you wondering what those sleeping positions are? Read on to find out more!
We all aspire to have a great height. But very few get the height that they dream of. While most of us get to our maximum height in our growing years, it is proved to be possible that we could increase our height even in our adult years. Sleep is a crucial when it comes to good health. 
But did you know that sleeping could help you increase your height? Even while you are in a sleeping state, the body is still awake and functioning at its maximum. The process of sleeping aids in repairing and expanding the discs in your spine which help you grow taller.
Can You Get Taller Through Sleeping Positions?
Are you pondering over this question “Do you grow taller when you sleep?” Some research says that you always wake up taller than the time before you went to sleep. The intervertebral disc in between every joint in your spine, acts as a shock absorber. It also aids in the movement of the spine. If a posture is used while sleeping, it could help facilitate the growth of your bones, making you taller, or at least make you appear taller.
The intervertebral disc is compressed during the day, which makes you lose approximately 1% of your total height. At night, while you are asleep, the intervertebral disc is able to recover and return to its original state naturally. Further on, helping you gain your lost height. This is why you grow taller than you were the previous day.
In children, growing taller while sleeping is even more relevant and prominent in terms of appearance. We highly suggest that children should get a rested sleep for at least 10-13 hours per night. This has been a well-known and well-proven fact over the years that your body releases different kinds of hormones while you are asleep, helping you recover and rejuvenate for the next day. 
Even though you might not be able to increase your height by a few inches once you reach adulthood, make sure you at least try to keep your current height maintained by defying weight loss through a poor posture. Many pieces of research indicate that almost 1% of your height is lost to poor posture by an average human being.
Weakness and laziness could also be a reason to weaken your spine or make it curve more than usual. 
With the correct sleeping positions, you can still improve your height by ensuring a correct posture while sleeping. Here, are a few things that could help you get the best sleeping position required for your growth:
- Get a good mattress to ensure that your spine remains in its original shape.
- Make sure to not keep your knees locked in any particular position.
- Choose a comfortable position to sleep in.
- Have Omega-3 capsules for sound sleep
- Avoid going in for a thicker pillow as it might push your head far too forward.
- If you choose to sleep in a soldier position, try a thinner pillow.
- Do not sleep without any pillows as it would create an unhealthy and poor neck curvature.
- If you choose to sleep in the fetal position, make sure to use a thick pillow to prevent your head from moving to either of the sides.
Top 5 Sleeping Positions To Make You Taller
Relationship Sleep Posture
Relationship sleep is nothing but the quality of your sleep on a regular basis and the position of the body that you sleep in. Mostly, people prefer to curl up and sleep on their sides. This is a common reason why they tend to slump forward. Instead, you should try sleeping on one side, with a pillow between the knees. This way you are not forced to keep your back straight for the rest of the night.
It is said that when you sleep in a sideways position, the body is able to stretch. The stretch will help you increase your height, proving to be beneficial as most people do not prefer to sleep with their hips facing the ground. The Fetal position allows you to stretch your spine. This position can increase spinal awareness. It can also let you have a better posture. This position can help you feel less back pain and improved circulation.
The starfish sleeping position – You lie on your back, with your arms overhead. Your body resembles a starfish. This position feels comfortable and offers you additional health benefits like:
- Protects against shoulder pain
- May relieve lower back pain
- Protects against neck pain
- Unlikely to cause any wrinkles
Soldier Straightening Back Posture
Also known as the sleepy soldier position. In this position, you should lay down on your back. Next thing is to spread your arms & legs straight down. This position will help you make your neckline in a neutral position, lowering the chances of premature wrinkling.
Sleeping on the side position
In this position, the sleeper tends to lie on one side keeping the body straight. This position helps improve digestion, ease heartburns, reduce stomach acid reflux as well. Apart from these, it also relieves breathing stresses, responsible for snoring and diminishes conditions like sleep apnea as well.
Stretching Exercises To Make You Taller
Although a deep sleep with a good sleeping posture makes you taller naturally, some stretches might help as well. Incorporate these stretching exercises for better results:
Stretches while standing:
- Before you stretch, warm up your muscles. Try doing some easy exercises that might make your muscles feel relaxed.
- Try extending your arms and legs, stretch like you are trying to reach the roof.
- Retain this position for about 15 to 20 sec. Relax and repeat this about 5 times.
- Practice stretching 3 to 4 times a day. You may feel slight tension but ensure that you do not feel pain while stretching.
Stretches while lying down:
- Lie down and try to relax your body. Try getting your spine to a position that is neutral.
- Stretch your arms over your head. Use your force until you can feel the tension. Hold this for 30 sec, relax and then stretch again.
- Do this stretch first your back and later on your stomach.
How much sleep do you need to grow taller?
According to the guidelines provided by the National Sleep Foundation, it is advised that an average healthy adult must sleep approximately 7 to 9 hours per night.
Infants or children and teens need more sleep to facilitate a healthy growth naturally. Whereas, people over the age of 65 should make sure to get a good sleep for 7 to 8 hours each night. 
Sleeping in the afternoon makes you taller
Afternoon sleep can make an impact on physical growth and height. Although, a single afternoon of sleep might not have any huge effects on the growth of your height.
But over time, it affects your growth in you in the long run. Your pituitary gland produces the growth hormones and adds them to your body’s bloodstream. This, in turn, thickens, lengthens, and strengthens your bones.
Is it true that sleeping can make you taller?
Your body produces growth hormones and thyroid-stimulating hormones. Both of these hormones ensure the proper development of your bones. Denying yourself an adequate amount of sleep would stunt your natural bodily growth. Thus, proper sleeping helps improve height.
Does sleeping with your legs straight make you taller?
Yes, sleeping on your back with a flat pillow under your knees might help. Besides, this might even align your back correctly and prevent any backaches due to sleeping in a bent position.
Which are the sleeping positions that make you shorter?
Sleeping on your side or curving your body might make your bones curve, lessening your height and making you appear shorter. Sleeping on either side could also shorten your height.
Is it true that sleeping makes you taller?
Yes, sleeping plays a vital role in increasing your height potentially in a natural manner. Sleeping for about 7-9 hours every night may increase your height over a period of 3-6 months. It also depends on the common height in your family and the basic genetic formulae of your bones.
Certain kinds of sleeping positions could make you grow taller naturally. Habits of proper sleeping help improve height. An average person must sleep for 7-9 hours per night, in a good posture, to see the change in height. Good posture and sleeping positions help you enhance the production of the growth hormone in your body, expanding the discs of your spinal cord, thereby increasing your height. Proper sleeping helps improve height as well as improves the blood circulation in your body.
- National Library of Medicine. “Sleep and weight-height development”. PubMed.gov
- Nancy F. Butte. “Role of physical activity and sleep duration in growth and body composition of preschool-aged children”. HHS Author Manuscripts vol 24(6) (2016).1328-1335
- Mutya Shimizu. “Adult spinal deformity and its relationship with height loss: a 34-year longitudinal cohort study”. BMC Musculoskelet Disord vol 21 (2020). 422
- Centers for Disease Control and Prevention. “Are You Getting Enough Sleep?” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.